Home
Archive;

Floors Castle

Floors Castle is situated on the Roxburghe Estate, which is on the outskirts of Kelso, in South-east Scotland.

The Castle was originally built for the 1st Duke of Roxburghe, in 1721, and was first opened to the public in 1977.

 

In the last 20 years or so, the current Duke (10th) has developed the estate into what it is today!

The inside of the castle is open to visitors but sadly, due to lack of time, I had only time to visit the Walled garden, Parterre and a small part of the Star plantation.

  click on pictures to enlarge

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The gardens consist of a traditional kitchen garden that supplies the castle with flowers and produce, plus the Millennium Garden and Woodland garden.

 

The History of the Grounds;

The grounds and gardens overlook the River Tweed and face the Cheviot Hills, and originate from a formal design laid out by William Adam in the first half of the 18th Century.

 

The landscape evolved from the late 18th Century, and the new walled garden was constructed between 1857-60 under the guidance of the 6th Duke.

The formal lines of the 1st Duke's house, were continued out into the estate grounds, where blocks of plantations created Baroque Avenues for the family and guests to meander through.

 

The Tour

Star Plantation Woodland;

 

The Star Plantation is located between the Castle and the Millennium Parterre.

The plantion was severly damaged in a major storm in 1993.

     

 

Thanks the National Trust who advised on the garden's restoration, the plantation is now a series of glades filled with ornamental trees, flowering shrubs, and evergreens.

     

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Millennium Parterre;

This garden was created to mark the start of the Millennium.

This formal garden was designed to compliment the ornamental Walled Garden, and to form a central focus within the natural Woodland Garden.

 

The design features the intertwining initials of the Duke and Duchess; G (Guy), V (Virginia) and R (Roxburghe), this was taken from a similar design on the Floors Castle linen made in 1900.

 

On the central raised bed, the dual coronet is laid out with Euonymus Emerald & Gold

This central bed is flanked by two beds with the Latin numeral M for the year 2000 (MM), using traditional box (buxus sempervirens suffruticoso)

  click picture to engage slide show

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To link the parterre, terrace and the summer house, fifty nine, one year old apple trees have been planted using three historic 19th century Scottish apple cultivars.

 

The three cultivars selected are; Galloway Pippin, Scottish Dumpling and Bloody Ploughman

 

Bloody Ploughman is so called because of its somewhat bloody background!

The story has it, that after a ploughman was shot dead when stealing apples, his widow threw some apples on his grave, and apparently a tree grew from them and was named; Bloody Ploughman

 

 

The Walled Garden;

The garden is located to the west of the Castle, and is accessed by a separate entrance from the main Castle.

 

Spectacular herbaceous borders filled with shrubs, and plants of all types, co-exist alongside soft fruit and vegetable beds, including some original Victorian iron poles, that are swathed in rambling roses and purple clematis.

 

Flowers are still cut from these borders for the main house.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Adventure Playground;

 

An adventure playground has been located within the Walled Garden.

This along with picnic benches on the lawn, makes this the ideal spot for parents to let their children blow of a bit steam, while they survey the gardens.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Plant Centre;

Here you can find many of the plants you see in the herbaceous borders including some of the rarer varieties.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

Cafe and Shop;

There is a choice of eating places on the estate.

There is the Courtyard Restaurant situated within the Castle that serves light lunches and freshly baked cakes.

The Terrace Café located in the Walled Garden, serves mid morning coffees, lunches and afternoon tea with cakes and pastries.

Queen Victoria took tea here during her visit in 1867.

 

 

On the way out of the walled gardens one can see the original 'Estate Workers houses' that form the boundary of the walled gardens.

 

These have now been converted into the Shop, Cafe and Garden stores (sheds)

   

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

....and that concludes the tour!


Note; During the year the Castle hosts many events.

For example; Highland games and massed pipe band days,Car Rallies, Horse Trials and Garden Days.

So why not visit their website before you visit and see whats on.

http://www.roxburghe.net/whatson.html

 

Feel free to leave a comment in the panel below;

***  

Top of page